The Story

Distance running can be thankless, isolating, and physically debilitating. Why do it, then? I put in the work for those days when everything clicks into place, when my body seemingly forgets it's limits and the run becomes effortless. I'm also working towards overcoming a year-long injury and training for the Olympic Trials Marathon in February. This blog follows that story and beyond, however it may happen.

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Pre race

Finally here. Not how I'd hoped I'd feel the night before the trials, but it is what it is and I'm feeling upbeat about it. I do have those familiar pre race butterflies going. It's different though. I'm obviously worried about my injury and how far it'll allow me to run tomorrow. There's a lot of unknown there and that's really dominating my thoughts right now. I'm wondering how long I'll be able to hold up and how fast I'll be able to run. 

My main goal is to enjoy it as much as I can with the circumstances. I know it won't be my day tomorrow but I really think I'm ok with that. I've spent weeks mentally preparing for this reality and I'll do the absolute best I can with what I've got. If I can walk away with that feeling, it's a success and definitely something worth celebrating. 

My secondary goal is to finish the first little two mile loop. Boom. 

My third goal is to complete the first full "lap," basically an 8 mile loop. That's the absolute farthest I can imagine myself going, which is a big stretch considering I haven't run that far in about 6 weeks and running is still very painful. I'll be relying on a lot of adrenaline and Advil to pull that one off. So I'll call that my reach goal. 

The race will be on NBC at 1:06 eastern time! I'm wearing an all white singlet and black shorts. Thank you everyone for reading and being supportive of my running and blogging. There will be plenty of other races in my future!






AH

5 comments:

  1. Awesome Andrew! Enjoy the experience....you should be so proud of your accomplishment...I know we all are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew, congrats! I know you were hoping that the training and race would go differently but you've handled the adversity with grace and I'm sure you'll have more opportunities in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bob, thanks for the words. It was an insane weekend. Very memorable for a lot of reasons

      Delete
  3. Well Andrew I guess you passed the test and showed some great pride in getting to that race so were going to let it go this time because it happens to the best of us. But another injury or setback, well, let's just say I have a friend name Leslie O'dell and she bakes some mighty fine Girl Scout Cookies and she is expanding her business constantly and she may be looking to hire this certain young guy soon!

    ReplyDelete