The Story

Distance running can be thankless, isolating, and physically debilitating. Why do it, then? I put in the work for those days when everything clicks into place, when my body seemingly forgets it's limits and the run becomes effortless. I'm also working towards overcoming a year-long injury and training for the Olympic Trials Marathon in February. This blog follows that story and beyond, however it may happen.

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Two runs + core work

I've now gone for two 15 minute runs (yesterday and Thursday). I can't say I had an amazing experience in either instance, but I did take a few positive things from it. It's funny to see people's different reactions to me saying I ran a couple miles. Most of the time they're so overly enthusiastic that my knee jerk reaction is "well it wasn't that great," inevitably putting me in this conversation where I'm seemingly talking myself down, which isn't necessarily a true representation of my feelings. I'm more cautiously optimistic and not about to declare myself 100% when I have plenty of work to do before I feel like my old self again. 

I still feel a very slight ache on my right side, though it's subtle and hard to describe. I have been able to bounce back from these runs with little to no pain the next day on my surgical side, which has been a huge boost for me. I feel way stronger in general in my core even in the past few days, like I'm supporting myself better while I'm out there running and walking and even going through my daily routine. SC has me doing this ridiculously hard (for me) core routine that literally only is 3 or 4 minutes long but totally maxes me out. I get up from it feeling wobbly and weak but also like I'm making some good gains. The question over the next few weeks at this point is all about my right side. If that slight ache I feel over there sometimes gets better and starts to dissipate I really think I'll be able to start building up miles. 

I had a dream last night where I didn't have any doubts or inhibitions about running and was able to go out there without fear of pain or setback. I can't wait to get back there some day. 

AH

No comments:

Post a Comment