The Story

Distance running can be thankless, isolating, and physically debilitating. Why do it, then? I put in the work for those days when everything clicks into place, when my body seemingly forgets it's limits and the run becomes effortless. I'm also working towards overcoming a year-long injury and training for the Olympic Trials Marathon in February. This blog follows that story and beyond, however it may happen.

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Goods and bads

On Tuesday I had the day off and a four mile run on the docket. It was raining very heavily outside when I was wanting to run, and though this is probably the first time I've ever decided to run indoors during rain, it seemed like the right decision. It didn't seem worth it to get soaked and cold for the sake of a measly four miler. Once I got to the gym, I hopped on the treadmill and settled in comfortably at 7:00 pace. I felt pretty good and my heart rate stayed low. By about three miles, however, my right hip started to light up on me, and though I got through the last few minutes with some pain, you can probably imagine I didn't leave there feeling particularly good about myself. It felt like I had just back tracked to the middle of winter when I'd go on the treadmill for 10 minutes just hoping I'd see some improvement, but inevitably leave feeling worse. I was at a loss. I had no idea what to make of it. Was it just the treadmill surface? Was I running "tighter" than I typically would on the roads or trails? I still have no idea, but my opinions on treadmill running couldn't be any lower at the moment.

I took yesterday off-- a combination of feeling badly for myself and not having a functioning bike-- and stayed in a fog most of the day. I woke up this morning and looked at my schedule, which had a bunch of continuous fartlek type drills during a normal easy run. I reluctantly went out there and started jogging along and was actually surprised to feel more in control of my right side than on Tuesday. I felt no pain over there during the course of the run, which was about 40 minutes (watch died towards the end) and included 1) strides 2) high knees 3)butt kicks 4)high skips and 5) karaoke. That's the running kind of karaoke, mind you. D Street isn't open this early.

So at the moment I'm back to feeling pretty happy. I won't be going on a treadmill again unless it's absolutely necessary, and even then I probably won't. Just not worth it.

Meeting with SC tomorrow to discuss the week ahead. As long as I push aside that treadmill run as a fluke, I'm feeling good about my prospects.

AH

 

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear about the quick bounce back Andy... Sometimes it's the smallest thing that can mentally sink you like that... You forget immediately about all the progress and all the good things that have been happening and start thinking about only what happened during just a possible off day... I'm glad you decided to get back out there and keep to the schedule the next day though...Like you, I plan on only using the 'mill' as a last resort this year...last two winters I overdid it on the treadmill and I know I paid for it this year... they aren't for everybody. Keep your head up man. I still gotta get down to Portsmouth for that beer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim.. The comment is much appreciated. You're a wise man!

      We should set a goal to grab that beer by the end of September. Ambitious, I know...

      Delete