The Story

Distance running can be thankless, isolating, and physically debilitating. Why do it, then? I put in the work for those days when everything clicks into place, when my body seemingly forgets it's limits and the run becomes effortless. I'm also working towards overcoming a year-long injury and training for the Olympic Trials Marathon in February. This blog follows that story and beyond, however it may happen.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Miles

Finally feeling like I'm getting some miles in. SC has been very (and with good reason) conservative with me over the past couple months, so for the first time ever in our athlete/coaching roles I actually asked for more mileage. He obliged, of course, and gave me an hour long run on Monday with 20 minutes in HR zone 3, which is 159-164. I went out and my right groin was bothering me slightly, although it was pretty manageable pain wise and didn't get worse as the run went on, even when I picked up the pace about three miles in. Reason for some concern, but I pressed on. I managed to average 5:40 pace for those 20 minutes, which I was totally thrilled about. No question it was very hard. I probably overcooked it, to be honest. I touched a HR of 180 at one point going up a hill towards the end, which was definitely overdoing it. I didn't care though, my body and mind were reveling in the elevated intensity and challenge of it. It was a definite test, whether or not it should have been in the eyes of my coach.

Afterwards I had very mixed feelings about the run. I couldn't have been more happy with the speed I was able to hold, not to mention I covered almost 9 miles-- one of the longest road runs I've done (maybe the longest?) since my surgery. No question I'm getting stronger. I still had some pain on my right groin though, which was really hard for me to get past over the next few hours. I was reminded by the lovely Ali Sylvester of the progress that I have made and not to dwell on it. It was just what I needed to hear. I have a lot to be happy about.

AH



No comments:

Post a Comment