The Story

Distance running can be thankless, isolating, and physically debilitating. Why do it, then? I put in the work for those days when everything clicks into place, when my body seemingly forgets it's limits and the run becomes effortless. I'm also working towards overcoming a year-long injury and training for the Olympic Trials Marathon in February. This blog follows that story and beyond, however it may happen.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Butt walking

Getting into a new routine is a pain in the ass. You're motivated in the beginning, at least peripherally excited at the prospect of a new venture, and yet you have nothing to build on. You're taking a new class, starting a new diet, gym membership, new season of training, whatever it may be. I can relate to a couple of those things. It's fun, but you almost wish you'd pass out and wake up weeks into the process of it where you're more comfortable and actually have some things to build and improve upon. Last week after the doctor's visit I called SC and set up some times to meet and work on stretching, deep tissue release, and ultimately strengthening my core to the point where I'll be able to run again. Given the go ahead from the doctor with essentially no limitations felt like I was delivered a deliciously fresh plate of motivation. Hence the call to SC immediately after the appointment. I knew it would be a tedious process, and getting started with something I knew would be a pain is never very fun. Bear in mind that I've actively avoided core work during my running career, even while at Bucknell because I hated it so much...

...But core work combined with the goal of going out and walking for 45 minutes? Biking for 30? Voluntarily getting my legs getting absolutely hammered to pulp with the elbows and thumbs of my evil-doing coach? And potentially doing this for weeks on end with practically no running at all? Sign me up! *Cough. *Choke. *Sputter.

Anyway, that's a tough way to think about starting something new. Probably best to just put your head down, bite your fingers, grit your way through it (like I do when I'm getting my hips torn apart with this deep tissue stuff) and actively try and remove from the situation mentally. Not to sound dramatic or anything.

Yesterday I went out for a 35 minute walk (partially in the rain). During all my walks recently, even during my regular day's routine, I'm consciously trying to activate my glutes as I move around. It's a bizarre feeling because I clearly don't typically walk "with my butt." I guess I've always been a more quad-centric runner, as many people are. I feel like a baby who's just discovered their toes. One day you're just like "HOLY HELL what in the world is this?" That's kind of how I've been feeling about my butt muscles in the last few days. Kinda cool.

Anyway, here I am having actually ground my way through basically a week of this and today I feel like I'm gaining a little bit of traction. I went in to the gym where SC is a trainer again today and he did more deep tissue body work and walked me through a quick core strengthening circuit. Obviously nothing too complicated, but because I've now been at it for over a week I'm starting to feel some actual progress. I think I'm over the beginners hump, so to speak, where now I have a small foundation on which to build up my body again.

I know it won't all be peachy from here on out, but at least I have been able to continue that renewed sense of motivation I got when I went to the doctor's a week ago and not back track yet. Tomorrow I'm going to try a 30 minutes bike followed by a 15 minute run. Then, we wait a couple days and see how my hips/groin react and keep pressing on.

AH





1 comment:

  1. It's nice to have a blueprint, at least. That counts for a lot to anyone whose ambitions have been scuttled by so much uncertainty for months on end. Biting of little chunks of this newness and savoring every bite for what it is, and relating this experience to readers of your blog, is not such a bad thing to have going now. Glad to seeyou thinking positive!

    ReplyDelete