The Story

Distance running can be thankless, isolating, and physically debilitating. Why do it, then? I put in the work for those days when everything clicks into place, when my body seemingly forgets it's limits and the run becomes effortless. I'm also working towards overcoming a year-long injury and training for the Olympic Trials Marathon in February. This blog follows that story and beyond, however it may happen.

Friday, June 12, 2015

Wait, biking is fun?

I met with Shawn yesterday morning for strength work and deep tissue massage. The massage is some of the most brutal stuff I've ever experienced. I run the risk of sounding like a real wimp here, but I don't care. His deep tissue release work is aggressive but ultimately very helpful. I emerged from our meeting feeling a little beat up but very glad I did it. I felt better in the end. 

Later, I went on a thoroughly enjoyable bike ride with Ali into Kittery. We went for about 45 minutes at a nice easy-moderate pace. I've never been one to go on a bike ride for real exercise so I was surprised at how much fun it was. You could probably count this as the first real time I've gone out for a legitimate ride for more of a reason that simply getting somewhere. I was literally talking to someone yesterday about how I don't like biking and here I am 12 hours later basically retracting that statement. In the next couple weeks I'll be hitting up the bike far more frequently to build up a little strength and endurance to help get back into running shape.

This morning (Friday) I went out again for a shorter ride ~30 minutes and ended up at the gym where I did about 15 minutes of core strength exercises given to me by Shawn. Short and sweet today. Didn't  want to crush myself. 

Overall I'm feeling pretty good at the moment and I already feel an added strength and confidence in my hips and core. It sounds corny but I'm very grateful to have the added motivation from the doctor and Shawn to get me going on a more constructive path. I was definitely in a little bit of a rut the past couple weeks. With a more structured regimen going forward I'm hoping to start seeing real progress soon....

AH

1 comment:

  1. Nothing beats a combination of massage and workout for that healthy burn. I would suggest that you take an hour for the bike ride (or a run) before you get your massage. It would relax the tensed muscles, removing the lactic acid buildup in your muscles and other toxins from your body. Cheers!

    Brittaney Luther @ Blades Massage Therapy

    ReplyDelete