The Story

Distance running can be thankless, isolating, and physically debilitating. Why do it, then? I put in the work for those days when everything clicks into place, when my body seemingly forgets it's limits and the run becomes effortless. I'm also working towards overcoming a year-long injury and training for the Olympic Trials Marathon in February. This blog follows that story and beyond, however it may happen.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Update

Overall, my progress towards running again has essentially halted over the last week and a half. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but that'll be a hard emotion to avoid in this post. Since those few days of running I did about 10 days ago I've found myself almost back at square one. To catch myself (and my faithful readers out there!) up... here's how it's been playing out.

I got a deep tissue massage (the second one I've gotten since this happened) and ran twice the next day. This was...oh.. around the 14th of this month. The first run was horrible, the worst it's felt. It felt like it was going to pop out or something. Am I being dramatic? Perhaps. Anyway, I needed to limp about a half mile home in the rain. Sucked. After getting back, I stretched out and started to feel better. I made it about a quarter mile into my next run when I was forced to walk again due to pain in my hip. That was a rough setback.

After that I took a couple days off. Admittedly, I lost a little bit of rhythm in my day to day attempts at running, walking, or doing strength work during this time. Some days I took off entirely, while others I would attempt to run. Every few days I would do strength work, but I lost the consistency and focus I had back when the injury initially happened. I think the day to day pain wore me down a little bit. And those couple days of forced walking didn't help either. The idea of going outside only to walk back 10-20 minutes later was more than a little disheartening and something that I think I subconsciously wanted to avoid. So I did, until today.

I got over the hump and did a run/walk this morning. Turns out, to no big surprise, I can still only handle a minute or two of very slow running before my limp gets bad enough to force me to walk. For what it's worth, I still felt good about trying it. Going out and walking for 40 minutes is a small thing, but I appreciated being able to breathe fresh air and at least reestablish a base line for potential future improvements. I need to keep taking it a day at a time. Not giving up yet.

AH      

3 comments:

  1. Andy, I hope you make it man...you came back quicker than anyone was thinking was possible ....It's been inspiring to say the least... If it's not meant to be this time around, something tells me you'll have more chances ;)... You've accomplished so much in the last couple years and you've got many many more years to achieve even more success. That marathon PR will drop even more, whether it's in Feb or a year from now, etc. This is just the beginning...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks Jim. Appreciate the support for sure. It's a brutal sport!

      Delete