The Story

Distance running can be thankless, isolating, and physically debilitating. Why do it, then? I put in the work for those days when everything clicks into place, when my body seemingly forgets it's limits and the run becomes effortless. I'm also working towards overcoming a year-long injury and training for the Olympic Trials Marathon in February. This blog follows that story and beyond, however it may happen.

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Quick recap on the week thus far

Update on notable runs this week:

10x3 minutes up a steep hill in Jackson on Tuesday. It was super rainy but otherwise really nice running weather. I was running hard and felt really good despite the difficulty of the whole thing. It reminded me of running up Bald Eagle hill in college, specifically in the '09 cross country season when Kevin McGoldrick crushed my spirits and beat me up the hill on multiple occasions. Would've loved to have some company out there the other day as it got a little lonely cranking up that hill time and time again. It's tough not having teammates sometimes. I forget how great that was to have someone there going through the same difficulties, working toward the same goal.

Easy 8 miles on Wednesday.

Today (Thursday) was 7x800 with 90 seconds rest on the track, reminiscent of my 5x800 effort on the track a couple weeks ago. That workout I did 2:30, 28, 27, 24, 23. This time I was 2:29, 25, 23, 24, 21, 23, 23, or something along those lines. Those 90 seconds flew by but I held my own I think. Especially happy with the improvement compared to a couple weeks ago. Still a long way to go, but it's certainly some progress.

After the track workout I went to see SC at the gym, where he showed me some super helpful core and hip exercises. These were TRX style exercises (hey, first time for everything) that use bands with loops on the end, tied to a bar overhead. All body weight stuff that focused on glutes, hamstrings, hips, and adductors. Overall it was exactly what I was looking for in terms of added strength work. Very functional and helpful for running.

Easy bike planned tomorrow. Great Island 5k next weekend.

AH

No comments:

Post a Comment