The Story

Distance running can be thankless, isolating, and physically debilitating. Why do it, then? I put in the work for those days when everything clicks into place, when my body seemingly forgets it's limits and the run becomes effortless. I'm also working towards overcoming a year-long injury and training for the Olympic Trials Marathon in February. This blog follows that story and beyond, however it may happen.

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Rapid fire updates

Tuesday I did the longest run of my year, 23 miles on the roads surrounding Jackson, NH. I did 3x15 minute pickups up to about 5:50 pace, which was very comfortable and easy feeling. The distance was the toughest part of this run. I was never in real discomfort, but I could tell my body is certainly still adapting to this kind of running. I got back, ate a solid lunch, then headed back out for a 30 minute shake out jog on the soft trails. All told almost 27 miles on the day!

Wednesday (yesterday) I had a 10 mile zone 1 or 2 run in the morning. I have to say, this was one of the most satisfying efforts I've had all season. Really caught me off guard. I was running super comfortably around 6:00 pace and couldn't have been happier. It was one of those perfect fall days and the perfect temperature for a long sleeve shirt and shorts. In the grand scheme it was a filler kind of day, but mentally this stood out to me in terms of how well I seemingly recovered from the effort the day before. Now this will probably all come back to haunt me and my body will react to the training effect of that long run soon enough, but for that day I was absolutely thrilled. Easy double in the afternoon capped off a solid day.

Today I hit up the track for a 5xmile workout. After a short warmup I covered the miles in 5:08. 5:08, 5:08, 5:04, 5:00, each with a 200m jog in between (about 2 minutes worth). A longer 4ish mile cooldown, plus an easy 30:00 double in the afternoon brought me to about 57 miles of running in 3 days.

Feeling good! 

Now time for sleep.

AH

No comments:

Post a Comment