The Story

Distance running can be thankless, isolating, and physically debilitating. Why do it, then? I put in the work for those days when everything clicks into place, when my body seemingly forgets it's limits and the run becomes effortless. I'm also working towards overcoming a year-long injury and training for the Olympic Trials Marathon in February. This blog follows that story and beyond, however it may happen.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Core work with the cat

Today I focused more heavily on the strength side of things than I can usually tolerate on my own, which was a good feeling. It's difficult for me to generate the focus to work through, say, 60 squats followed by 60 stationary lunges still knowing there's a lot more to do... Not to mention I'll hop on my bike right after and ride for a while. It's a time intensive process and all the individual steps bring out a certain loathing in me. I'm so used to going outside and just running. One step, done. It's an interesting change and a different mindset I'm not used to. 

So after going through a series of core strength exercises I popped outside and rode my bike for about 30 minutes worth of hill repeats up Sagamore. I did five repeats at a steady but not all out pace, seated, to try and engage my core and glutes as much as possible. This was the second time I've done these hill repeats on my bike and it's been enjoyable. It doesn't take as long to feel like you've gotten some work in. Next time I ride (Thursday) I should go on a longer one. 

Tomorrow I'm slated to run four miles and meet with SC for more core and massage. My right side has been bothering me on and off today and I've been going through the typical mental hoops associated with that feeling. I play tricks and little mind games to convince myself that it's not really there or that it's changing or somehow different. And many times, especially recently, I do feel like it's different. Occaisionally I become self aware of the mind games I'm playing-- I realize, yes, it's all mental smoke and mirrors and self-induced Jedi mind trickery. But then I step back even further and remember that that's how I have to be in order to stay sane. It sounds weird but I think of it as a healthy cycle of self preservation. It is also much easier to stay positive now that I'm feeling little hints of progress. 


Addiecat managed to get her head completely through the sleeve of my shirt this morning (which I dramatically and unnecessarily took off while doing that core stuff). It cracked me up and gave me a quick break between squat 22 and 23 to snap these pictures. She's more flexible than I am, that's for sure. 

AH

No comments:

Post a Comment