The Story

Distance running can be thankless, isolating, and physically debilitating. Why do it, then? I put in the work for those days when everything clicks into place, when my body seemingly forgets it's limits and the run becomes effortless. I'm also working towards overcoming a year-long injury and training for the Olympic Trials Marathon in February. This blog follows that story and beyond, however it may happen.

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Little breakthroughs

Well, I didn't expect this.... probably had the most encouraging run I've had since last summer just a few moments ago. It was an unassuming jog-- I didn't really have time for an hour+ on the bike so I wanted to try running again. Things started off slow and steady but I had practically no pain at all on either side today. The biggest difference I think was that I rolled out my adductors a lot and did more active type stretching of my groin than I typically do before running. Not only did I have minimal pain, but I felt like I had something left at the end of the run-- a big contrast to the past couple weeks where I practically feel like walking by the end of a four mile jog. You just never know.

I was bolstered by the lack of a twinge in my side and picked up the pace for the last mile or so and covered 6 hilly miles, averaging 6:46 pace. The fact that picking up the pace slightly and mixing in hills didn't even cause pain made me even more happy with myself. I ran into the Coastal group running from Runner's Alley towards the end and seeing them was a huge emotional boost too. For a few miles in there I felt more like myself out there than I have in so so long. Best run in over a year. End of story.

AH  

No comments:

Post a Comment