The Story

Distance running can be thankless, isolating, and physically debilitating. Why do it, then? I put in the work for those days when everything clicks into place, when my body seemingly forgets it's limits and the run becomes effortless. I'm also working towards overcoming a year-long injury and training for the Olympic Trials Marathon in February. This blog follows that story and beyond, however it may happen.

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Going rogue

I had a good feeling about the day as soon as I woke up and started moving around. Yesterday SC dug like hell into my quads in addition to some pretty intense hamstring stretching/strengthening, so today I could feel the lingering soreness for sure. This soreness acted as a distraction from my typical right sided pain, which I think was the root of my positive outlook on the day. SC had some biking on the schedule but I elected go rogue and run, based mostly on this whim that I might feel pretty good today. 

So I set out and did a comfortable 5 miles, very happily clicking along at about 7:00 average, slightly quicker on the second half. The pain on my right side had shifted ever so slightly to my groin and hamstring, and felt more like a stretch than pure discomfort. It's a strange thing to describe, but the junction of where my hamstring and adductors connect up into my groin was gliding more fluidly and independently than usual. I have become so used to a pulling sort of sensation that reveals itself as pain in the front of my hip, but I had much better luck this time around. 

I'm very happy with how that went. I hope it continues. I really really hope. Tomorrow might be terrible and bring me back to square one-- I have to remember that's always a possibility. That's how fragile I feel! I try and stay level headed even when I have a mini-breakthrough like this but it's impossible not to let my mind wander at the possibility of really training and increasing mileage and intensity. And of course I did The Countdown, backwards from February, assessing how much time I really have until the Trials.... Always a scary thing to do. 


Good thing I have the cat here to take pictures of. Perfect distraction. 

AH

No comments:

Post a Comment