The Story

Distance running can be thankless, isolating, and physically debilitating. Why do it, then? I put in the work for those days when everything clicks into place, when my body seemingly forgets it's limits and the run becomes effortless. I'm also working towards overcoming a year-long injury and training for the Olympic Trials Marathon in February. This blog follows that story and beyond, however it may happen.

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Freshness

Really happy I took the day off yesterday. I felt fresh and a lot better this morning when I woke up. My left adductor was a little tight yesterday and I can still feel the lingering effects, but overall it's feeling much much better. It didn't make sense to push it yesterday and try and run.

Because of that, I put together a solid effort today-- 25 minutes, covered 3.9 miles for a 6:36 average. Beautiful morning for a run, still moderately cool with a slight breeze. A tiny bit chilly at first with shorts and tee shirt but within a couple minutes it was perfect. I felt smooth and in control. No noticeable pain on my surgical side. Right side got a little bit tight later in the run, but again it felt more like a cramp and general muscle tightness higher up above my hip than anything reminiscent of a sports hernia. This is very encouraging, assuming my body won't revolt on me again and feel awful in the next day or so. The reality is I've been here before-- feeling good coming off a semi-breakthrough run, only to have the next few days feel like I set myself back. I don't know how many more of those setbacks I can handle at this point, but I'm hopeful that I'll be ok as the next couple days unfold. If I feel good to run tomorrow, no doubt I should slow myself down and take things a little easier. I'd be asking for it.

For now I'm just glad to be riding the good vibes from this run. I hope it lasts!

AH

No comments:

Post a Comment