The Story

Distance running can be thankless, isolating, and physically debilitating. Why do it, then? I put in the work for those days when everything clicks into place, when my body seemingly forgets it's limits and the run becomes effortless. I'm also working towards overcoming a year-long injury and training for the Olympic Trials Marathon in February. This blog follows that story and beyond, however it may happen.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Increasing distance?

I've been struggling with the notion of increasing my run distance. I'm really afraid of it more than anything. Afraid of feeling increased pain in the same areas or some fresh new twang of discomfort never felt before. I've been thinking about it the last four or five days and been nervous about it so I've only been running for fifteen minutes here and there. Finally today I got the guts to sort of go for it, at a controlled pace, definitely slower than I've been running lately, and I think it went pretty well. There's no telling right now. I'll have to see how I feel the next few days. 

I ended up doing 4.7 miles at about 7:10 average after a full warmup/stretching routine. Currently I feel a little soreness on my surgical side right where the scar is but I'm not overly concerned yet. Better be sure I'll be obsessing about how it feels all day today and tomorrow! I'll check back in hopefully with some good news. For what it's worth it felt awesome to get out there and run with very little pain. The soreness always comes later. 

AH

No comments:

Post a Comment