The Story

Distance running can be thankless, isolating, and physically debilitating. Why do it, then? I put in the work for those days when everything clicks into place, when my body seemingly forgets it's limits and the run becomes effortless. I'm also working towards overcoming a year-long injury and training for the Olympic Trials Marathon in February. This blog follows that story and beyond, however it may happen.

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Afternoon thoughts

Groin didn't bother me much at the store today. Oddly enough I got one very noticeable and surprising sharp pain out of nowhere, but it dissipated pretty quickly and I didn't have any lingering issues afterwards. Weird. 

I continue to be so happily amazed by all the people coming into the store saying how they loved reading my blog, asking about the injury etc etc. Even though at times I get tired of talking about it, it means so much knowing there are lots of people out there pulling for me. You guys are awesome! 

As more time goes by I'm becoming more aware of the fact that this injury is defining me more and more. I hate this of course and I don't want that at all. But in all likelihood this is the most severe running injury I'll have in my life. If I can handle it and heal, I'll be able to handle pretty much anything. I'm over it-- how's that for an understatement? 

Also, wouldn't it be nice to read something where I'm not constantly obsessing over my broken core muscle?

Let's look ahead for a second to imagine greener pastures and talk about what I'm really looking forward to in my running life.

Long-- aggressively long-- trail runs. 

SC and I discussed trail running and how it can help build core strength really well, not to mention the endurance side of it. I'm picturing myself up in the white mountains running and hiking for hours and hours on end. Maybe checking heart rate every now and then, but having no concern for pace at all. How liberating would that be? My legs get all jittery just thinking about it. After my last marathon cycle where I was so analytical and focused on the details for such a long time, I'm craving the pure side of running where you get lost in yourself and your brain is void of thoughts, where it's just you and your feet and the trail and the air in your lungs. I'd like to build up to do the presidential traverse, and maybe more, depending on how it all pans out. 





No comments:

Post a Comment