The Story

Distance running can be thankless, isolating, and physically debilitating. Why do it, then? I put in the work for those days when everything clicks into place, when my body seemingly forgets it's limits and the run becomes effortless. I'm also working towards overcoming a year-long injury and training for the Olympic Trials Marathon in February. This blog follows that story and beyond, however it may happen.

Thursday, April 30, 2015

5k group

Did 20 mins of PT exercises this morning, plus 2x1:30 scar massage. Glamorous stuff, I know, just try and contain your awe and excitement! Ok ok, I didn't actually time my scar massaging... but it's sure funny to imagine. 

I spent a good chunk of the day yesterday in the house catching up on hospital bills, cleaning, etc. Feeling a little stir crazy but 5:00, Ali convinced me to go to the beginner 5k group at the store with her. She's been helping coach it so I figured I'd tag along. I was really glad I did-- getting outside was so much more gratifying than the alternative, which for me would've meant watching Trailer Park Boys or some repeat episode of Game of Thrones. 

There were a couple people from Crossfit Bonafide to show the 5kers some warmup exercises and drills. We did bunny hops, butt kicks, high knees, did circuits of this flat, ladder-looking stepping contraption (oh yeah...called an agility ladder!) that encouraged hop scotch type jumping, you know... things like that. It was pretty fun to pop around to the different stations. Reminded me of gym class in middle school or something along those lines.

For the running segment, the group was set to do 8 minutes of running x4 with 1 minute walking between. Monday was the 10minx3 day, which was a big jump from what they'd been doing, so this week is big for them in terms of the overall program. I was impressed though, everyone was hanging in there really well. I chatted with people and enjoyed jogging alongside them. It was nice to breathe the fresh air! We got back and did some quick stretching and that was it. I walked home with Ali and that was the night. 

PT maƱana early early AM!

AH

No comments:

Post a Comment