The Story

Distance running can be thankless, isolating, and physically debilitating. Why do it, then? I put in the work for those days when everything clicks into place, when my body seemingly forgets it's limits and the run becomes effortless. I'm also working towards overcoming a year-long injury and training for the Olympic Trials Marathon in February. This blog follows that story and beyond, however it may happen.

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Yesterday I didn't post anything, but sometimes life is more important than talking about yourself on the internet! The store got busy before closing and I wasn't able to leave until late.

I had a pretty solid day of exercise though. I ran 2 miles (call it 7:10 average) and then went for a 60 minute bike ride. I don't actually own a bike currently, so I used one at the gym. This sounded utterly miserable to me at first-- it was a beautiful day and I felt pretty great running a couple miles, so going inside to pedal a stationary machine for an hour sounded like the real pits. I also have zero capability to listen to music right now. I dropped my phone on the ground a couple months ago and the screen cracked right in the spot where the headphone jack is supposed to go in. High comedy, I know. As hard as I try and jam it in there, something must have broken/shattered and is now obstructing the hole. My ipod died about a decade ago and Ali's was MIA. So imagine me sitting about 4 feet from two different TVs, no sound, no headphones, pedaling away, and feel free to chuckle to yourself. I should really look into purchasing a road bike.

Today (Thursday) I'm headed in for the "graveyard shift" at work, aka 12:00-8:00. I have the day off from any running or exercise. This weekend the running picks back up a little bit. Baby steps. I can't believe how long this hernia situation is taking to heal. It's unbelievable.

Something for all you loyal subscribers (I don't think any actually exist) to look forward to: A virtual discussion about different training methods and strategies that some of my former Bucknell teammates were discussing in a recent email chain. I'm planning on having this post (it'll be a long winded affair) linked to next month's Runner's Alley newsletter. I hope it drums up some interest. If nothing else, it'll almost surely get you to think critically about your own training and all the different strategies out there, and that maybe the way you're training isn't the only way, or best way, to do it.

AH




No comments:

Post a Comment