The Story

Distance running can be thankless, isolating, and physically debilitating. Why do it, then? I put in the work for those days when everything clicks into place, when my body seemingly forgets it's limits and the run becomes effortless. I'm also working towards overcoming a year-long injury and training for the Olympic Trials Marathon in February. This blog follows that story and beyond, however it may happen.

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Direction

So I've redirected my focus--or at least I'm trying to. For the past 6 weeks, since I started running again (even though the beginning consisted of run/walks and painfully slow progression) my focus was on increasing mileage at a steady pace. Things were going well-- by the end of March I had built up to doing 7 miles at a respectable 7:00 pace. I felt that the worst was behind me until I did an 8 mile run on 4/5 that immediately felt like "too much too soon." I had really pissed off the injury and it flamed up and caused me some frustration and pain almost immediately. Since then I've been running here and there-- probably average 4 times a week and no more than 5 miles. I've been getting into my own head, and looking back at these blog posts is proof of that-- I can be quite the flip-flopper when it comes to my running-related-mental-happiness. At times I was convinced I had re injured myself and I'd need to go back under the knife.

Today I finally had that follow up appointment with my surgeon, Dr. Busconi, at Umass medical in Westboro. By the time I'd made the 80 minute drive and waited for another hour to see him I was getting a little nervous and had psyched myself out a little bit. Didn't take long for him to knock some sense into me once he finally came into the room. He cut straight through the BS overload in my head and dismissed any chance I had reinjured the spot from the get go. He felt very confident about this-- just that I was a fool for trying to run that much without building up my core strength first. He said I was basically trying to run on the same chassis (read: biomechanics) that caused the injury in the first place-- not to mention the fact that I still have a lot of scar tissue in that area that is probably affecting my gait as well. It was just a matter of time before I aggravated the injured spot again, the way I was going. His presentation of the information was so concise and straightforward you can't help but think you're an idiot for not taking things a little easier. To my credit though, I was told I could start running 6 weeks post-op, and start building from there. My fitness tendencies tend to be aggressive though, so I imagine that's another reason this was an issue for me.  

On a side note I hate when people say my mechanics are off, or they are a reason for the injury in the first place, but I guess I need to swallow my pride and realize that it was undoubtably a contributing factor. Plus the fact that I've avoided core work my entire running career doesn't do me any favors.

So the new plan is to NOT increase my running distance for right now, but rather back track and start going the PT route again. Their four week goal will be to release any tightness in my psoas, hip flexor, or adductor, plus get on a good core strengthening program. This will hopefully give me the base I need to start to build my mileage back up.

At first I was disappointed to hear of this PT plan, but it definitely makes the most sense. I am burned out on PTs from all the months I spent going that route before finally landing on a diagnosis. But at least there's less doubt about what I need to improve and the direction it needs to go this time. And the bottom line is I should get better, where before the "better" part was always in flux and never assured. I made an appointment this morning and will start PT on Tuesday next week.



No comments:

Post a Comment