The Story

Distance running can be thankless, isolating, and physically debilitating. Why do it, then? I put in the work for those days when everything clicks into place, when my body seemingly forgets it's limits and the run becomes effortless. I'm also working towards overcoming a year-long injury and training for the Olympic Trials Marathon in February. This blog follows that story and beyond, however it may happen.

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Yesterday I did an SC prescribed leg routine that involved squats, lunges, jumping squats, bulgarian split lunges, and box jumps. I've been finding this stuff hard but helpful when I've done it. The college runner version of myself would have punched the current me in the face right then and there for typing that. In college I was an all running, no anything else kind of runner-- and deep down I still am that person. The pureness and simplicity of that mentality is so appealing to me. If you had more time or more energy in your life, pushing it towards running more mileage is the best and most efficient way to improve, was my mentality. But now things have shifted a little bit. I need to obviously do more "other stuff," ie biking, strength work, core, to get back to 100%. It involves swallowing my pride a bit but it's ok.

The college version of myself would punch the current me in the face for lots of things, now that I think about it. Writing a blog is a great example. Wearing a GPS watch, training with heart rate, paying a little bit of attention to my nutrition. That could be a blog post in itself how my mental outlook on running has changed in the last 5 years.

Today (Saturday) I went out and did 4 easy miles, about 7:15 average. No pain while running in my groin or hip, but my hips still had that wonky feeling they've had for a while now. It's like things don't feel "set" yet. As I'm walking around post run, I can feel a slight soreness in the groin, but it's not bad. I took some Advil and I'm icing it. I have 5 or 6 miles tomorrow with some in zone 2 HR, so a slightly quicker pace than "easy." More "steady," so to speak. I hope I feel ok the rest of the day...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment