The Story

Distance running can be thankless, isolating, and physically debilitating. Why do it, then? I put in the work for those days when everything clicks into place, when my body seemingly forgets it's limits and the run becomes effortless. I'm also working towards overcoming a year-long injury and training for the Olympic Trials Marathon in February. This blog follows that story and beyond, however it may happen.

Thursday, April 9, 2015

This past Sunday I ran 8 miles (which was on the higher end for me since surgery) but wasn't significantly more than I had been doing. I had been building pretty steadily all the way from run/walking 20 minutes in the beginning of March to being able to comfortably run 5, 6, 7 miles pain free. On Sunday I would say I overdid it. I did an out and back on 1A in Rye with Andrew Sears (new RA employee--pretty quick dude), going out easy (although a beastly headwind made it tricky) and coming back in HR zone 3-4 which for me right now comes out to 5:50-6:10 pace (with the tailwind). After finishing my legs were pretty sore but I had this sneaky sinking feeling I had gone too hard, or too far, as soon as I sat down in my car to drive home.

My groin/hip area has been aching much more since then and hasn't gotten significantly better, though I'd say it's improved slightly. I called the doctor's office where I got the surgery and have a follow up in a couple weeks. I spoke to a nurse who said it's likely I "overdid it, but didn't screw anything up." I think she sensed the desperation in my voice. I'm still not sure what the deal is or if I really did screw anything up, but the past several days have been pretty rough. I ran 2 really slow miles on Monday and it didn't feel right, so I took Tuesday and Wednesday off and planning on taking today as well. I'll try and test it out tomorrow.
 

1 comment:

  1. Keep it up Bacon! Running injuries in addition to the physical aspect are extremely tough mentally, you definitely deserve alot of credit for your perseverance. 5:50-6:10 hitting those paces after coming back from an injury you'll definitely be ready for Cali!

    ReplyDelete