The Story

Distance running can be thankless, isolating, and physically debilitating. Why do it, then? I put in the work for those days when everything clicks into place, when my body seemingly forgets it's limits and the run becomes effortless. I'm also working towards overcoming a year-long injury and training for the Olympic Trials Marathon in February. This blog follows that story and beyond, however it may happen.

Friday, April 24, 2015

Graveyard loops

I couldn't bring myself to go to the gym to pedal on a bike for an hour, so I substituted SC's workout with a 3 mile jog (~7:05 pace) and a few minutes of planks when I got back. I ran a couple loops of the graveyard along south street. I haven't gone over there in a while, mostly due to my lack of running ability over the fall and winter. I always love a good graveyard loop though. If you go a certain route through there it's almost exactly one mile, which is maddening but also a little meditative if you think about it the right way. I've done repeat miles through there before, but that's going back a couple years. I also loved doing my doubles in there on days when I couldn't imagine going too far out of town. Mentally, it seems easier sometimes to just stay close by.

It also reminds me of doing graveyard loops at Bucknell. There was a graveyard right across the street from where we'd meet to run over the summers (I spent my summers there training with the team sophomore, junior, and senior year), and it was a great little .6m, 1.2, 1.8, 2.4 etc etc mile add on after our runs. We joked about doing 18 mile long runs on it but that never came to fruition. Graveyard loops here in Portsmouth bring me back. I should try and get out there more often, it's a nice calm area with softer footing through most of it.

AH

 

No comments:

Post a Comment